Land Use Planning
The Planning Division is a full-service land use planning, design and real estate development consulting firm. We are committed to providing quality professional services with emphasis on strong policy and project implementation. We have an excellent track record of achieving results for our clients.
Our success is based on integrity, creativity, innovation and experience.
LAND DEVELOPMENT SERVICES:
Vacant Land Inventory
Highest and Best Use Analysis
Plans of Subdivision, Site Plans and Severances
Obtaining Municipal Approvals
Clearing Conditions of Approvals
Expert Testimony at Ontario Municipal Board Hearings
MUNICIPAL PLANNING SERVICES:
Preparation of Secondary Plans
Comprehensive Official Plans, Amendments to Official Plans, and Zoning By-laws
Expert Testimony at Ontario Municipal Board Hearings
Fiscal Impact Assessment
Comprehensive Planning Studies
Municipal Retail Strategies
RAY ESSIAMBRE, PRESIDENT
Ray Essiambre’s experience in land use planning and land development consulting spans 45 years’ experience.
Ray has designed and obtained approvals for more than 300 residential and commercial projects. His government experience includes: working as a land use planner for the Town of Oakville, the City of Edmonton and the City of Ottawa. Private sector experience includes working for several multidisciplinary engineering, planning firms in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and the United States.
Ray’s passion is leading private landowners, public sector landowners and land developers through the complex and
highly regulated land use planning process. His experience completing more than 250 projects is invaluable to clients
who choose to utilize all or selected areas of his experience that include:
- Locating available developable land
- Overall project coordination
- Project budgeting
- Assembling and coordinating project teams
- Conceptual designs
- Filing and obtaining municipal approvals
- Official Plan Amendments
- Site plan approvals
- Minor variance
- Clearing conditions
- Public engagement
- Assistance with disposition of land
- Expert testimony
Scale of projects has ranged from smaller single use sites to large mixed use complete communities on several
hundred hectares. The time to approvals has been relatively short and for some projects, and for others it has taken
more than 10 years requiring extensive studies, public engagement, meetings with elected officials.
A diversity of projects undertaken by Ray include: a wide range of urban residential densities; estate lot subdivisions; greenfield and infill developments; automotive uses; office, retail, industrial developments.
Ray has completed complex studies and special projects such as; urban boundary adjustments, municipal retail strategies, economic development strategies, automotive uses studies, urban design studies including coordinating contributing professional disciplines.
Ray is known for his integrity, and practical down to earth professional style that is focused on the needs of his clients.
His meticulous attention to details and focus has resulted in the many successes for his clients. He is also an accomplished professional public speaker having delivered presentations at national conferences and workshops attended by councillors, media, the public, land developers and other business leaders. Ray delivers his message
in a relaxed, informative style that is easily understood by all stakeholders.
Ray’s experience includes working on more than 250 projects from routine to high profile and highly contentious assignments. The following is a representative sample of projects.
LAND USE PLANNING PROJECTS
Client: Simplicity Developments
Location: Highway 416 and O’Keefe Court, Barrhaven, Ontario
- Assisted client with selection of consulting team.
- Coordination of consulting team.
- Preparation of project budget (soft costs).
- Public consultation.
- Preparation of Planning Rationale including;
- Mineral aggregate policies
- Area Context
- Site criteria for conceptual design
- Municipal servicing solutions
- Preparation of Concept Plan.
- Preparation of applications for Official Plan Amendments, Rezoning and Consent.
Urban Expansion Project Coordination and Conceptual Plan
Client: Clydesdale Meadows – private landowner
Location: 100 acres, Stittsville, Ontario
- Project management including selection and management of professional team to assist in preparing conceptual plan – municipal engineers, geotechnical, environmental, surveyors.
- Provided advice to change the designation of the lands from Rural to Urban.
- Preparation of Planning Rationale including a review all relevant provincial and municipal land use policies
- Preparation of conceptual plan on 100 acres that conformed to all municipal policies
- Participation in discussions with adjacent land developers to produce an overall comprehensive demonstration plan for developable land in the area.
Proposed Property Expropriation Gananoque Boat Lines
Client: Gananoque Boat Lines
Location: Town of Gananoque, Ontario
- Lead Planner supporting the Legal Team representing the Gananoque Boat Lines against the proposed expropriation by the Town of Gananoque Boat Lines waterfront property.
- For all Gananoque Boat Lines property, reviewed planning policies, zoning and legal agreements between the Town and the Boat Lines.
- Review Navigable Waters Act and other relevant documents affecting use of waterfront property.
- Produced “book of evidence” of pertinent information to be presented at expropriation hearing.
- Agreement to a mutually agreeable solution was reached prior to the hearing.
Carson Grove Residential Subdivsion
Clients: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and the Canada Lands Company
Location: Ottawa and Gloucester, Ontario
- Prepared concept plans, pro-formas, official plan amendments, zoning by-laws and plans of subdivision.
- Obtained twelve development approvals from Municipal, and Federal Governments.
- Conducted public consultations.
- Provided expert testimony at three Ontario Municipal Board Hearings.
- Co-ordinated the multidisciplinary team.
- Cleared complex conditions of subdivision approval that resulted from OMB hearings.
- Site Plan approval for CMHC National Office Building.
Amber Lakes Retirement Bungalows
Client: Amber Lakes Development Corporation
Location: Main Street, Stittsville, Ontario
- Designed a Plan of Subdivision for 104 residential retirement bungalow units while preserving adjacent wetland and fish habitat.
- Obtained Official Plan amendment, rezoning, and approval of subdivision conditions for a 40-acre site located in the Poole Creek Watershed.
- Provided expert testimony at an Ontario Municipal Board hearing.
Timbermere Residential / Commercial Subdivision
Client: Timberwood Development Corporation
Location: West of Carp Road, Stittsville, Ontario
- Design of plan of subdivision for a residential/commercial subdivision located in Stittsville, Ontario.
- The plan contained 440 residential units and commercial uses located in Poole Creek Watershed. Features of the design include four parks linked by a 2.5km walking/cycling trail and a stormwater pond incorporated as an entrance feature.
- Co-ordinated the clearing of conditions and the registration of the Plan of Subdivision.
- Obtained municipal and regional approvals, rezoning and an amendment to the Official Plan.
Waterfront Townhouse Development Mediation
Client: Town of Prescott
Location: Prescott, Ontario
- Consulted with landowner and objectors to a proposed townhouse development on the Town’s waterfront to obtain a mutually agreeable situation for this key waterfront development in the Town’s Historic Downtown.
- Conducted review of Official Plan and Zoning By-law.
- Preparation of development and design guidelines, site plan criteria for approval, and site-specific Zoning By-law.
Conversion of Commercial Site
to Residential Subdivision
Client: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and Campanale Real Estate
Location: Ogilvie Road and Aviation Parkway,
- Obtained amendment to the Official Plan.
- Preparation of site specific Zoning By-law.
- Subdivision design and clearing conditions of subdivision approval.
World Exchange Plaza City of Ottawa Design Competition
Location: 45 O’Conner Street, Ottawa, Ontario
- Winning Submission of National Urban Design Competition for development on City of Ottawa property. The project covers an entire city block.
- Analysis of land use planning and urban design policies.
- Member of design team.
- Prepared urban design criteria.
- Coordination and analysis of commercial marketing demand.
- Assisted in preparation of written submission for the Design Competition Selection Committee.
City of Ottawa Urban Expansion
Client: 40 landowners who owned 1,800 acres
Location: Kanata West, Ottawa, Ontario
- Filed Applications and obtained amendment to the Official Plans of 4 municipalities. The Official Plan Amendment included guidelines and requirements for future urban development.
- Appointment to the Study Area Steering Committee as a representative of landowners to ensure landowner interests were addressed.
- The process took 7 years to reach Planning Committee and Council. 32 delegates spoke in favour of the application and the application was approved unanimously and no Ontario Municipal Board hearing was required.
Expropriation and Highest and Best Use Analysis
Client: Hewlett-Packard Canada Inc.
Location: Queensview Drive Ottawa, Ontario
- Provided support for negotiations concerning $7 million acquisition of Hewlett-Packard’s site by the City for the West Transit Way Extension.
- Assisted in developing a strategy for sale of Hewlett-Packard’s site.
- Municipal Policy Review and highest and best use analysis.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Client: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Location: National Office, Ottawa, Ontario
- Review Land Use Policies, Navigable Waters Act, Conservation Authority Development Regulations
- Pre-consultation Meeting with staff at Prince Edward County to determine servicing capacity and identify approvals required
- Participation in Picton Harbour Land Owners Meeting
- Assistance to the client to determine market potential
- Rezoning, public consultation, approval of boat slips
Client: Alt Homes
Location: Pickford Drive, Kanata, Ontario
- Coordination of the consulting team to design the project on a challenging site.
- Preparation of site plan application and obtained approval of the site plan.
- Provided advice regarding the site plan agreement.
Retail Conceptual Design Site Plan Approval
Client: Taylor Developments
Location: Hazeldean and Terry Fox, Kanata, Ontario
- Coordination of consulting team to prepare site plan.
- Preparation of site plan application.
- Obtained rezoning of the site to permit retail development.
- Obtained approval for site plan.
- Assisted with negotiations of site plan agreement.